We are located in Laguna Niguel at the Laguna Niguel Medical Plaza. Our building is next to the 5 Freeway at the intersection of Crown Valley and Forbes Roads, adjacent to Costco.
- West Coast Physical Therapy was started in 2003. At that time we were part of the PRN Network, and acquired Marguerite Physical Therapy. It had been in practice serving patients in Mission Viejo since the early 1980's.
- We changed locations to our current facility in 2007.
- Joined the Mission Internal Medical Group (MIMG) in 2008 to become their physical therapy department.
- Renovated entire space in 2009 to remove pool and create a more open treatment area.
- December 1, 2012 we became part of St. Joseph Health System.
- SI dysfunction and Low Back Pain. WCPT has refined evaluative and treatment techniques in this area. We specialize in treating mechanical low back pain, but also have extensive experience working with chronic low back pain. For this patient population, we work closely with several local physiatrists in Mission Viejo.
- Pediatrics. We have specialized in the treatment of children since 2003. Areas we treat include, but are not limited to:
- Torticollis and Plagiocephaly
- Devlopemental Delay
- Hip Dysplasia
- Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis
- Legg Calve Perthes
- Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis (JRA)
- Surgical Limb Lengthening Procedures
- Childhood Obesity
- Sports Medicine. We work with a wide variety of high school athletes due to our relationships with the local pediatricians in Mission Viejo. Each member of our staff has extensive knowledge related to sports related injuries of the shoulder, knee, foot and ankle. Additionally, we have a relationship with J Serra High School and their athletic department. Lynn Watkins PT, OCS joined our team in 2010 and has worked exclusively with WCPT since late 2011. She served as the team physical therapist for their athletic department from 2005 to 2012. In addition to our adolescent population, weekend warriors are also a large part of our sports program and are always welcomed!
- Golf Rehabilitation: We have extensive training with regard to the bio mechanics of the golf swing. Our focus is not to replace your PGA pro, but to evaluate the mechanics of your body and its relation to your swing.
- We look closely to see if there is a mechanical basis for your current injury or if there may be some recommendations that might prevent future injuries. By evaluating the mechanics and body positions of your swing, our goal is to help get you safely back on the course as soon as possible.
- We strive to reduce the chances that a specific injury becomes a chronic problem that keeps you off the course for an extended period of time.
- By improving your body mechanics, your golf performance often improves.
- Your PGA pro should be able to simplify your swing if your strength and range of motion improves to allow for more standard positions over the ball and in your back swing.
- Better mechanics should allow for a safer, longer turn away from the ball, and a more balanced release after impact. All of which should spell better distance and accuracy!
Our facility is approximately 3800 square feet and includes two full gyms located in separate wings of the facility. Our newest wing, which was completely renovated in April of 2009, was previously used for our aquatics program. It has been converted into a bright, open space that has more than doubled our available treatment space. Both gyms have multiple treatment tables, as well as an assortment of cardiovascular and resistive equipment.
Our cardiovascular equipment includes treadmills, recombinant bicycles, and an upper arm ergo-meter. This equipment is used to help work on endurance and conditioning of both the upper and lower extremities. Additionally, there is a resistive leg circuit to strengthen the lower extremities, as well as two cable systems that can be used to work all areas of the body.
These systems are especially useful in our golf rehabilitation and advanced core strengthening programs. Balance and core strength training are addressed with therapy balls, a Bosu Platform, balance disks, as well as a KAT dynamic balance trainer. We also have parallel bars to help individuals that have significant difficulty walking or transferring out of wheelchairs. Private lockers are available to all our patients. A Pilates Reformer will be added to our facility in 2012.
All therapy at West Coast Physical Therapy is provided by licensed physical therapists. We do not employ physical therapy assistants (PTA's).
- There are 7 physical therapists currently on staff at West Coast Physical Therapy, three of which are Doctors of Physical Therapy.
- Two therapists are board certified by the American Physical Therapy Association as Orthopedic Clinical Specialists (OCS).
- Three of our therapists specialize in Pediatrics.
- Our pediatrics department is headed by Andrea Callanen, PT, MPT.
- Any questions about our staff or facility should be directed to 949-364-2955 where we will gladly assist you.
We look forward to helping you meet your rehabilitation needs and goals.